录音/制作/创作 吉他 扩声技术 视频技术 作品展示 生活 信息 更多... | 音频应用专卖店

[新闻] Toontrack发布EZKeys 2新扩展Orchestral Grand

( 11 )

[收藏]
#1 24-10-16 20:58

Toontrack发布EZKeys 2新扩展Orchestral Grand

Toontrack Orchestral Grand EKX Expansion for EZkeys 2

A Piano EZkeys Expansion of Colossal

ProportionsToontrack Orchestral Grand EKX leverages a meticulously maintained and tuned grand piano and the unparalleled acoustics of Galaxy Studios to give you an EKX expansion suitable for high-level classical compositions.

The sound of Orchestral Grand EKX is most impressive; not only does it benefit from being captured in one of the world’s most coveted spaces, but the expansive 19-microphone array used during recording renders it with sufficient flexibility to satisfy scaled-down intimate productions and full-scale orchestral compositions with equal assurance.

Able to support mixes in stereo up to 5.0 surround, Orchestral Grand EKX includes mix-ready presets for different configurations, microphone setups, and tonal flavors.

A MIDI library of inspired performances adds even more value to this outstanding EZkeys expansion.

Composers searching for a huge-sounding piano library to match the size of their ambitions need look no further than Toontrack Orchestral Grand EKX.

THE INSTRUMENT.

Measuring 274 centimeters in length, involving 12,000 individual parts and with a rim consisting of up to 20 layers of carefully selected wood, the majestic D-274 is a marvel of engineering and craftsmanship. Built by hand and unchanged in design since the late 1800s, it is more than just an instrument, it’s just as much a unique piece of art that only exists in one specimen. The particular one sampled for this EKX was handpicked by the owner out of a range of the same model at the factory in Hamburg back in 1992. It simply spoke to him. No wonder, it sounds sublime in any and all ways imaginable – from the most frail notes at the top of the range, where the high-tensile Swedish steel strings tremble and beautifully sing, to the thunderous low end that resonate with power as much as with subtle delicacy.

Brand: Steinway*
Model: D-274

THE STUDIO.

With its 330-square-meter room and eight-meter ceiling height, the main hall at Galaxy Studios in Belgium was the ideal location for capturing these instruments with a surround setup of microphones. In addition to having immaculate acoustic qualities, the entire studio complex is built on springs to ensure that any outside interference is literally nonexistent. In fact, with only 14 dBA of environmental noise, this room is the most quiet recording space of this size in the world.

THE ROOM &
THE MICROPHONES

In addition to the carefully positioned close mics intended to pick up the attack and direct total presence of the instruments, this sound library was recorded using eleven additional room microphones set up in a surround configuration. This will enable you to use these instruments way beyond the conventional.

ENGINEER.
Patrick Lemmens, classically trained tonmeister, engineer, producer and mixer.

Tell us a little about your background and how your interest in music began.

I am a classically trained french horn player. Born in a small town in eastern Belgium, I started playing that instrument in the local wind band at the age of nine. This orchestra performed at a remarkable level, so I got to know what it means to make good music in a semi-professional ensemble. I then got diploma’s in French horn, solfeggio and chamber music at various music academies in Belgium. From there, I started playing in a brass quartet with three fellow students and still now, 30 years later, we regularly perform with this ensemble – which is a great addition to my actual tonmeister profession. Being an active chamber musician next to my day job as a classical producer is both challenging and rewarding – and something that always reminds me how it feels to be on the “other side” of the microphone.

How come you ended up behind the console and what drew you towards engineering/mixing?

Towards the end of my school career when I had to decide what to do with my further life, I wanted to continue making music professionally but not as a musician or teacher (since there weren’t a lot of job opportunities for a French horn player in Belgium at that time). A good friend of mine then told me about the Sound Engineering degree in Düsseldorf, Germany. It was a five-year tonmeister education which didn’t and still doesn’t exist in Belgium. I managed to get a place in the program and eventually became one of Germany’s youngest tonmeisters. After finishing my studies, I wanted to return to my home country to work there and got a job at Galaxy Studios. Here I worked my way up during more than 17 years – from assistant engineer to chief scoring engineer and head of music department. In 2020 I started my own company, High-Score Recording and Mixing Services, which allows me to record music all over Europe and mix it in my own immersive mixing stage in eastern Belgium.

What is the most common challenge mixing a full orchestra? Do you have any general tips, tricks or workarounds to share?

That’s hard to describe in one or two sentences… It always depends on the purpose of the recording. If it is for a classical record, you want to reproduce the original sound as naturally as possible, which is quite difficult considering the size and depth of an orchestra – and the huge dynamic range between a very soft flute solo and a massive tutti-fortissimo. In stereo, all these parameters have to be squeezed into just two channels, so a realistic sound is quite hard to realize. 5.1 surround makes much easier, and in immersive sound with three-dimensional speaker placement or binaural headphone technology, the sound is so realistic that you might believe you are in the same room as the musicians! If you record and mix music for a film, there are different rules that apply, you don’t really want the orchestra to appear as such – as an ensemble of musicians performing on a stage in front of you. Precise localization of the instruments is not necessary, on the contrary, it’s unwanted. In fact, the orchestra should not be recognized as such, but the music has to be an integral part of the movie, steering the audience’s emotions the way the film director intended it. To achieve that emotional result, you might need to make choices in balance and panning that don’t reflect a natural situation. Sometimes you need to make a solo instrument sound unnaturally loud, for instance, to create a certain impact on the listener. Mixing film music is actually much more creative than mixing orchestral music for a record.

You’ve come to specialize in engineering and mixing of classical music and scores. Have you always been into this type of music?

Due to my background as an orchestra musician, I’ve always been into acoustic and orchestral music. Our wind band often played arrangements of symphonic music, including a lot of film music as well. This way I already got a lot of experience during my teen years, realizing how an orchestra or acoustic music in general should sound. I also got to understand the emotional impact of 60 people making music together, which is invaluable.

The grand piano is an iconic and sometimes daunting instrument to capture. What is your relationship to recording this colossal-sounding thing and what have you learned over the years?

This particular instrument has accompanied my career as a tonmeister since the very beginning. A Steinway Model D is generally a fantastic piano, but this very one is one of a kind, handpicked out of a range of the same model at the factory in Hamburg back in 1992. I have recorded this piano for hundreds of projects, be it solo piano records, chamber music, pop, jazz, world music, film scores, piano concertos or large orchestral recordings. Over more than two decades I have learned to “master the beast” for any kind of production, and we always managed to get the right sound out of this – as you said – “colossal-sounding thing.” in fact, you can manipulate a lot of factors to make this particular instrument fit a specific project – the instrument itself, the room and its acoustics, the microphones, the positioning of the instrument – all these parameters are working together when recording a grand piano. And yes, if need be, I can even make this massive instrument sound intimate and small, yet touching and emotional. The next day, it might sound massive and big again for a Rachmaninov piano concerto. That’s the big advantage of a great instrument in a great room. So if you ask about my relationship with this instrument – it is a big love story!

Listening back to the finished product, what are your thoughts?

Of course you’re expecting me to tell you that I think we all did a great job, but I really mean it. As I said before, the challenge of recording a piano is mainly to make the sound fit all the different genres of music, and the different purposes of any possible project it will be used in. And by capturing the sound of this amazing instrument with first class microphones of all kinds (tube mics, condenser mics, ribbons) at different positions and distances from the instrument, I think we can provide solutions for any EZkeys 2 user, whether they’d want an orchestral piano sound for a film music track or an intimate close-miked sound for a singer-songwriter album. This very unique instrument is now at the disposal of every composer and producer and they’re able to add a touch of exclusivity and emotion coming from a fantastic thing, captured in the best of circumstances.

THE PRESETS.

The included presets cover a wealth of different tonal colors and microphone configurations ranging from the close and intimate to the massively grand. Each preset has its own bespoke set of macro controls. With these, you can easily alter, tweak or fine-tune the sound to perfectly suit your mix. Should you wish to route an instrument to your DAW for further processing, use any of the various Multi-Out out presets. In addition to offering unsaturated takes of each instrument, these settings will distribute all stereo microphones in each recorded configuration of the instrument to its own channels and allow you to mix in up to 5.0 surround.

Toontrack Orchestral Grand EKX Expansion for EZkeys 2 Features:

Built around a meticulously maintained and tuned German acoustic grand piano

Suitable for high-level classical compositions

Captured at Galaxy Studios — the same space that gave rise to Toontrack’s Superior Drummer 3 core library

Recorded using an expansive array of 19 individual microphones

Flexible enough to satisfy scaled-down intimate productions and full-scale orchestral compositions with equal assurance

Supports mixes in stereo up to 5.0 surround

Includes mix-ready presets for different configurations, microphone setups, and tonal flavors

Includes a MIDI library of inspired performances

https://www.thomannmusic.com/toontrack_ekx_orchestral_grand.htm

89$
https://www.toontrack.com/product/orchestral-grand-ekx/

本帖最后由 allentsei 于 24-10-16 21:53 编辑

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?注册

x

#2 24-10-16 21:44
xiex
观众反应

#3 24-10-17 07:41

#4 24-10-17 09:39
这个据说和Galaxy Steinway是同一台琴

#5 24-10-17 09:43
2024年Toontrack再次采样斯坦威D274, 在比利时 Galaxy Studios 的 330 平方米大厅录制, 包括一系列 19 个单独的麦克风, 含环绕声.

12年前的2012年在瑞典 Sveriges Radio 的 Studio 9 录制斯坦威D274,仅使用最好的现代和老式设备.

#6 24-10-17 10:06
大香震 发表于 24-10-17 09:43
2024年Toontrack再次采样斯坦威D274, 在比利时 Galaxy Studios 的 330 平方米大厅录制, 包括一系列 19 个单 ...

最早是Best service 2004年4月份的Galaxy Steinway 5.1黄色老Kontakt界面。 本帖最后由 allentsei 于 24-10-17 12:45 编辑

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?注册

x

#7 24-10-17 11:57
allentsei 发表于 24-10-17 10:06
最早是Best service 2005年的Galaxy Steinway 5.1黄色老Kontakt界面。

这台琴音色很纯净,2010年升级到K4 可惜停产不卖了

#8 24-10-17 12:38
清音雅韵 发表于 24-10-17 11:57
这台琴音色很纯净,2010年升级到K4 可惜停产不卖了

现在已经改名Galaxy Pianos III把2004那个剔除了。最早是用Kompakt来装的。 本帖最后由 allentsei 于 24-10-17 12:42 编辑

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?注册

x

#9 24-10-17 16:28
galaxy ii系列3架琴 (後來增加到4架)
可能被他們家後來的產品DEFINITIVE PIANO COLLECTION的3架琴替代了.

#10 24-10-17 16:33
galaxy ii采样发行在2007年, 後來的K2升級版本和K4版本都是基于2007年的采样。

DEFINITIVE PIANO COLLECTION是2014年采样.

感觉上好像是个替代品,但到现在为止两个产品都没停产.

這次ezk的274新采样和老采样两个产品也都在销售.

#11 24-10-17 17:11
大香震 发表于 24-10-17 16:33
galaxy ii采样发行在2007年, 後來的K2升級版本和K4版本都是基于2007年的采样。

DEFINITIVE PIANO COLLEC ...

Galaxy II是BestService的产品,现在已经改成Gaxlaxy III了。Definitive Pianos
是NI的产品,用来取代2004年Akoustik Pianos, 都是已经过时的产品。Noire都有六年了,NI该要出新的大钢琴了。还有Steinberg
什么时候The Grand 4? VSL现在几乎年年都发。呵呵。Toontrack我感觉后面还有好多钢琴要发。就照他们发鼓音源的那个劲儿。 本帖最后由 allentsei 于 24-10-17 17:37 编辑

#12 24-10-17 17:52
不错
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

搜索